Author Topic: OCD left ankle surgery  (Read 2759 times)

Offline tksbutterfly

• View Profile
OCD left ankle surgery
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:43 AM »
My daughter is 14 years old.  She was diagnosed about a month ago when she suddenly could not out weight on her ankle.  The ankle she broke the growth plate in a few years before.  Microscopic surgery is scheduled next month.  I am unsure exactly what he is gonna do.  Pre-op Appt is in two weeks to discuss details.  I am wondering how bad recovery is.  He stated she would be in a cast or boot after.  That he was going in to clean out the bad cartilage.  Didn't want to be too aggressive and then have no other options if this doesn't work.  Wondering how much time she may be out of school in anyone else's experience.  He said this isn't a bad case...

Offline 1168phil

• View Profile
Re: OCD left ankle surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:27 AM »
If the surgery is only to remove loose bodies, the recovery in theory shouldn't be bad at all. However, keep in mind everyone is different as well as every doctor with their post op instructions. I had microfracture and ligament/tendon reconstruction done (one with an arthroscope, one with open incision) and I was back to work using a knee scooter 10 days later. It could have been 7 days but the doc was booked.

Ankles and knees are different, but a friend of mine is having loose cartilage removed from his knee and will be up and in therapy the next day...