Author Topic: Does this sound like an OCD?  (Read 6987 times)

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
Does this sound like an OCD?
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
Hey guys! So I was playing football (american) on saturday night and completely turned my ankle while I was about to catch the ball. The foot completely turned sideways and was stuck at a 45 degree angle; the ball came out of the socket essentially. Luckily, one of my friends, who is almost a doctor (anesthesiology resident), quickly came and realigned my foot (popped it back in) while i was in agony. I went straight to the ER and there was no fracture. I was unable to put ANY weight on the foot, but was really glad that i didn't break a bone.

Yesterday I went to an orthopedic surgeon who examined the ankle told me i need an MRI asap, didn't tell me much about my ankle (spent like 3 minutes with me), and said after the MRI we'll talk. He said he was concerned about chondral defects. I got the MRI done today and have the CD with me. If anyone can read MRIs, please let me know! I will post the images.

I have really bad pain on both sides of the ankle, bruising (blue discoloration on both sides), can't walk, (cant bear ANY weight) and it's swollen up like i've never seen before. Any ideas on what happened to my ankle? I won't find out until thursday. Thanks!

Also, is early detection of OCDs associated with a better prognosis?

Offline BLT

• View Profile
Re: Does this sound like an OCD?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:07:35 AM »
I think it might be too early to tell. Keep the weight off and keep the foot elevated. Wait until it fully heals before thinking it's OCD. If you start to feel chronic pain after it heals, then you may need to dig a little deeper.

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:12 AM »
I think it might be too early to tell. Keep the weight off and keep the foot elevated. Wait until it fully heals before thinking it's OCD. If you start to feel chronic pain after it heals, then you may need to dig a little deeper.

My MRI results will be shown to me tomorrow...Wont it show then if it's an OCD?

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
It may not show on an MRI taken within a few days of the injury.  If the injury did not cause a chip or fracture it may still cause a loss of blood supply to the injured area that will eventually develop into a defect.  see below from Methodist Orthopedist web site.  Also on numerous other websites and articles  discussing ocd.   
'"There is some evidence that the twisting injury may not cause a chip fracture initially. However, it may injure the bone's blood supply, leading to an area of the bone actually dying. This may explain some cases of OCD that appear without a well-defined history of a recent serious twisting injury."

In my case I had a completely detached fracture of the talus that I never really felt.  The OS thought it was there for at least two years based upon my history and the condition of the cartilage and bone.  I felt like I had a minor sprain for the last year and a half before surgery and occasionally it would be more intense pain but always manageable.  It wasn't until the detached fragment dislocated that I had severe pain that occurred occassionally throughout the day. 

So he is not sure if it was a single traumatic event or if it resulted from repeated motion, repeated crushing of the area or if it was a single event that caused loss of blood supply and it just developed over time. 

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
I'm trying to post a pic of the MRI results but the limit is 128kb...

Anyways these are the results:
1.Rupture of the anterior talofibular ligament
2.Rupture of the superomedial calcaneonavicular ligament (spring ligament)
3.Extensive soft tissue edema

Could this develop into an OCD?

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
alestor91, try using imgur.
imgur.com 

upload there then post the link here.

also, you should just ask your doctor. he'll interpret the results for you.

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:05:57 AM »
alestor91, try using imgur.
imgur.com 

upload there then post the link here.

also, you should just ask your doctor. he'll interpret the results for you.

He said there were no loose bodies and no cartilage damage when i asked. I did not ask him if it could develop into OCD. But oh well...I can't walk for 4 weeks.
http://i.imgur.com/24xZaBp.jpg

Offline jnj15

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury...take good care of it now (NWB, walking boot, etc.) and hopefully you can avoid serious chondral injury. You should probably track it closely, e.g. MRI periodically as well. Those were my mistakes--I walked off a serious ankle sprain and was asymptomatic for 12 years until recently, and now my ankle is all cut up and I'm just hoping I can stave off an ankle replacement/fusion.

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury...take good care of it now (NWB, walking boot, etc.) and hopefully you can avoid serious chondral injury. You should probably track it closely, e.g. MRI periodically as well. Those were my mistakes--I walked off a serious ankle sprain and was asymptomatic for 12 years until recently, and now my ankle is all cut up and I'm just hoping I can stave off an ankle replacement/fusion.

Thanks a lot! So if i catch it early what are my options to prevent it from getting worse?

Offline jnj15

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:31:58 PM »
I think the state of the art for OCDs are 1. Denovo and 2. Biocartilage with PRP/BMAC but we're still learning. Hopefully we'll have something better or more definitive if you ever need it!

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
I think the state of the art for OCDs are 1. Denovo and 2. Biocartilage with PRP/BMAC but we're still learning. Hopefully we'll have something better or more definitive if you ever need it!

Have you heard of regenexx? I'm thinking about using it to heal my ligaments. I'm an athlete who plays a lot of football mainly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:42:22 PM by alestor91 »

Offline jnj15

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
No, haven't heard anything about it. I think we're pretty good at fixing ligaments though, so I'd be careful about unnecessarily trying anything new.

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
No, haven't heard anything about it. I think we're pretty good at fixing ligaments though, so I'd be careful about unnecessarily trying anything new.

Not the spring ligament tho...We suck at fixing that and i tore it.

Offline alestor91

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
Well it's been 4 months (2 months of PT) and I still have a deep pain inside my ankle that i feel with every step. Is this a symptom of OCDs by any chance? What symptoms should I be on the lookout for? Also, is early treatment of OCDs associated with a better outcome? Thanks!!

This is the 2nd MRI I got and it showed very different results from the first:
"Small avulsed bone fragment of the anteromedial aspect of the talus.."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:01:52 PM by alestor91 »