Author Topic: Diagnosed with OCD  (Read 12656 times)

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
Diagnosed with OCD
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Hi I'm new to this forum. 2 yrs ago I was diagnosed with OCD injury at the medial talar dome 7x10mm manifested by irregularity of the suchondral bone subjacent bone marrow edema. What ever that means. I just did another MRI and it shows that the Large medial Talar Dome osteochondral lesion has increased to 1.3cm mediolaterally x 1.3cm anteroposteriorly with marked marrow edema. What ever that means. I have lived with this for 2 yrs. The pain comes and go's. My Dr, who is an Orthopedic and Sprts Dr, suggested on doing an Arthroscopic procedure. He said that it has gotten worse in 2 yrs. It is scheduled in October. Any suggestions on the recovery and time?

Offline BLT

• View Profile
Re: Diagnosed with OCD
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 03:34:58 AM »
You'll be in a boot for AT LEAST six weeks. It'll probably take six months before you start feeling like you can walk normal again, but expect a full year before you feel a full recovery. I echo what many people on this forum has said - take it easy for the entire year of recovery.

Offline jnj15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
Whatever you do, I would not do a standard microfracture procedure. I would look for a surgeon at the forefront of treating OCDs--that means moving beyond standard microfracture (which just uses your own blood to form a clot over the defect) and looking into newer "microfracture plus" procedures such as Denovo, Biocartilage, and/or BMAC. These procedures are designed to enhance microfracture by forming better quality new tissue.

I don't think you can go wrong by going to HSS. I wouldn't do anything without talking to them first, at least.

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
Does a 1.3cm X11.3 cm warrant a surgery? Sometimes my ankle feels good and sometimes it bothers me. Dr Halbrecht in San Francisco said if I don't do something now I will need it in the future.  I will be 52 yrs old in January and I retired last year. Bottom line is I hate surgery and afraid of it. I've never had surgery before except a broken cheek when I was 12 yrs old.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:52:10 PM by 70sixpkrt »

Offline jnj15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
Mine were 1.5cm x 1.5cm and were regarded as large. I was told younger patients heal better than older ones, so perhaps that should factor into your consideration. I am 32, and deliberated for about six months, seeing doctor after doctor, until it started affecting my daily activities (pain after an hour or walking) and I found a doctor and procedure I was comfortable with.

Offline BLT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
I can only voice out what didn't work for me. Conservative (no surgery) treatment did not work. Standard microfracture only surgery didn't work for me. And, my lesion did get bigger over time.

But Denovo so far, is working.

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »
My surgery date is Oct 7 and I am nervous. My ankle has been pretty good but it has increased in size from 2 yrs ago. I am second guessing surgery.

Offline BLT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »
My surgery date is Oct 7 and I am nervous. My ankle has been pretty good but it has increased in size from 2 yrs ago. I am second guessing surgery.
I know the feeling...no one wants surgery. Pain from OCD is hard to predict consistently. Good luck!

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
They had to reschedule my date a week later. It is set for tomorrow. I'm getting real nervous and having second thoughts. Am I making the right choice on having surgery or not? It has gotten worse in the last 2 years.

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Good luck with surgery and please post how you are doing

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
Had the surgery yesterday. The Dr said I definitely needed to do something. When he went in there he found the chip was starting to crumble into pieces. He ended up removing the chip and did micro drilling. He said there is no guarantee but feels confident that this will work. I wanted to do the least evasive surgery. I do have a polar ice cube on. This thing is great. I am on pain medication and the throbbing is bearable. Time will tell.

Offline cshires

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »
Yay for being on the other side of surgery! Good luck with recovery- I'll be following you soon...trying to hold out until after the holidays.

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »
Well I spoke too soon. The shot they gave my ankle wore off. It was a throbbing pain. I go back to see the Dr next week. For the next week I'm suppose to just ice it and stay on the coach.

Offline chloebell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Did they do nerve block before the surgery? I need to schedule my surgery but I  am nervous and have been waiting for my husband to get his shoulder repaired again.  I want to wait as long as possible since he will be in a sling quit awhile and it will be a pain if I am on crutches at the same time. Have they told you if you need physical therapy and if when do you start it? I am having ligament repairs also , so I wonder if recovery time is different with both  I hope things go well for you keep us posted

Offline 70sixpkrt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
I believe they did give me a nerve block. I think that's what's wearing off. The Dr said he would do a ligament repair if it was easy to get to. Since this is a workers comp case, he could only do what was approved. I do need PT but don't know when I start. Will find out next week when I see the doc.