Author Topic: talar dome lesion/left ankle ocd debridement surgery 2/16  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
talar dome lesion/left ankle ocd debridement surgery 2/16
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
Hello

I just had my left ankle surgery for a talar dome lesion on my left ankle.
I had a debridement which removed my lesion and helped create blood flow to grow replacement cartilage. A microfracture was planned but the doctor said it was not necessary. I originally had a sprain 11 months prior to my surgery. I had it looked at 6 months after due to severe toe pain that would make me limp, and persistent swelling. I waited 5 months due to work and vacation, which was manageable with a stabilizing ankle brace. However I did not want to let it go on and get worse over time and I still could not walk without significant pain without the brace.

So far post surgery is going very well.  I have had almost no pain except for the first two days, which was very minimal, just some issues with nausea due to my reflux. I was nervous for the post surgery experience and the nwb time. So far I am ready to put weight on it already but can't obviously. I did not realize how difficult crutches would be for me for some reason so I recommend the knee scooter. I thought I would be pretty independent but as we have stairs so leaving the house for me will be difficult without help. My prognosis is six weeks nwb and hopefully back to work. I expect it will be longer than that as I work on my feet 40 hrs a week and doubt I will be right back to it but we shall see.

I researched a lot prior to my surgery as I had a not great first doctor experience.  Hopefully this will help someone else I know reading other entries did for me. Keep going till you find a doctor you feel comfortable with.

-K

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:44:39 PM by Kea82 »

Offline anneb455

• View Profile
Re: talar dome lesion/right ankle ocd debridement surgery 2/16
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
Kea82, I had debridement and micro fracture on 2/24. I use my knee scooter almost exclusively, feel quite unsteady on the crutches and they are simply uncomfortable. Post op experience for me was similar- 2 days of pain. I got a scopolamine patch put on pre-op for nausea, and took it off 48 hours later, also Zofran by mouth and that kept the nausea at bay. I had a first doctor who was terrible, and went to several before I found one I was happy with. I can touch down while standing, but NWB if I ambulate with the crutches. I am allowed to swim, using primarily arm strokes, at 4 weeks. The scooter is a life saver. What I do for stairs- I have a 3 story house- is I slip on an old pair of loose gym shorts- think Basketball, use the scooter to lever myself down and then bump down the stairs. Going up- I use a cushion for my knee on the operative side, and I climb like a toddler, knee & other foot. Then I lever up using a chair I have positioned, and my scooter- which I have one for each floor. Going out- I find I need help. But I am tired and wanting to rest, so its not too bad. Stay strong! Who did your surgery?

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »
Hello anneb455,

I had my surgery done in Mobile, AL Dr. Park with the Orthopedic Group at their Mobile Surgery Center. South Alabama about 2 hrs from Gulf Shores. I also had a scopolamine patch because I get severe motion sickness for the drive home. I have had that before so not new there.

I can't imagine how you manage with stairs. I am lucky our house is moslty one floor except we are on stilts so we have a deck. Getting the knee scooter to the car is not an option right now but I can get there on crutches but I had to work at it.

I found putting my surgery leg in front of me for crutches made the balancing easier. I just got my boot off and the crutches are much easier but it is exhausting for me for some reason.

I am now at 2 weeks and am thrilled to get the boot off. No pain so far and I have started working it out on range of motion. Congrats on swimming that is supposed to be excellent for recovery on many injuries. My main goal is just to get back to work within a reasonable time frame as I can't work at all while I am NWB.

Good luck to you, please keep me posted I like to read about everyone's different experience,
-K
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:45:07 PM by Kea82 »

Offline anklebrace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
All you need is a CopperJoint Compression Ankle Brace that has a healing capability for your body (perfect after surgery).
You will notice a remarkable difference, the pain will decrease, your ankle will feel better and it will help you to move or play with no pain in just few days or weak.

Choose the ankle brace that should be Durable, light weight, comfortable, gives you just the right level of support, keeps your sore ankle secure and warm so YOU can feel better and more secure, gives you added comfort, takes the pain away and helps you to move around easily.

The ankle brace I used after my surgery has a cooling effect, doesn't cause skin rush, easy to put on, fits well, feels great all day without any sweating. It doesn't roll, slide or slip down. The elastic is also very strong and it reshapes perfectly after each removal.

I am sharing the link http://www.amazon.com/CopperJoint-Compression-Plantar-Fasciitis-Infused/dp/B00YIAG6R4

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
Re: talar dome lesion/left ankle ocd debridement surgery 2/16
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
I wore a brace like the link below before my surgery for six months and it really helped me a lot with the pain. I was at a 5 pain level down to a 1 depending on the day.
I suspect I will walk in that for a while depending how I tolerate back to weight bearing.

http://www.amazon.com/ASO-Ankle-Stabilizer-Black-Large/dp/B00TZTO0TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459282480&sr=8-1&keywords=stabilizing+ankle+brace
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:18:19 PM by Kea82 »

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
6 weeks post op appointment
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
Had my six week appointment today. Cleared for walking with a boot, physical therapy, and limited work hours.  Ankle looks good no swelling, two small incision scars, think a small red line on the top of my ankle. Walked on it a little bit so far today and it feels really good. The sole of my foot seems to be the most sensitive, but the actual ankle feels totally fine. Once I start walking the sole feels normal. I am wearing my brace around the house, as I really hate the boot, and the small amount so far it feels good.

Dr said I will have physical therapy 2-3 days a week for 3-4 weeks depending on how it progresses. He said I should expect some difficulty, pain, and swelling, for up to six months until the ankle returns to normal. I will be back to work walking around monday so that will be my first real test of my pain and function level. So far so much better than expected. 

Previously I listed my surgery as right ankle which was cabin fever/dyslexia talking, I had surgery on my left ankle.

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
1 week of walking in a boot, work and physical therapy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
So far I am one week into walking with a boot and it has been more challenging than I initially thought. I am back to work for five hour shifts normally I work eight. And that includes being on my feet walking around the store for most of the time. My main problem is the ankle and calf would swell up and cause pain. More so by the end of my shift.

I noticed after the first day of physical therapy my pain level was much better and so far has stayed very low. Now however I am having problems with my right leg below the knee and right foot. Ache and burning in the foot especially. When I brought it up to my physical therapist he did not comment on it or seem to address it, that was frustrating. I assume this will go away as the left ankle improves and with therapy. I was taking ibuprofen consistently from initial walking until therapy about a week and now after therapy I feel I do not need it, it does not help with my right leg/foot issues.

I would recommend not going back to work until after your physical therapy. Unless you have a job that does not include being on your feet most of the time.

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
walking in a boot week two, eight weeks post op
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »
So far walking this week is much improved from the first week. This is pry mostly due to the physical therapy. I am more comfortable with the boot, and I use the cane while not working. I could walk without the cane, I just feel like it helps relieve some stress on the ankle as it is still recovering.

In physical therapy I have been working on lower leg range of motion and strength. Sitting bike, total gym leg presses, rotating ball board for ankle rom. Ankle flexion and extension heel/toe to the floor alternate (not sure what that is called). The first two sessions I had electrotherapy for pain relief, which was felt like vibrations. Now they have been doing deep tissue massage and articulation of the foot and joint to improve range of motion and flexibility.

On my off days from therapy I have several range of motion exercises and stretches. I add heat with a heating pad before and then ice after. I have also been doing these on my opposite leg which I think have helped improved the ache/burn issues there. I do my PT for home in the evening after therapy if I am not working.

So far my pain level while resting is back to zero and I do not need ibuprofen anymore. While at work my pain level is in the opposite leg and that seemed to be improved after a period of extended rest. Hopefully that continues. Ibuprofen does not help with that surprisingly.

Two to three more weeks of physical therapy before I get out of the boot. I am still working about 20 hours a week. I had my shifts changed to hopefully something easier on the ankle, which is I think is helping also, more down time between shifts.

Offline Kea82

• View Profile
PT success week 13 post op, week 6 of PT
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »
So I am 7 weeks into physical therapy after 6 weeks nwb. My physical therapist recommending I can end physical therapy pending doctor's ok Monday which is 8 week post NWB.

I wore my boot for about 4 weeks before they started to let me out of it. Finally I got the ok to try working without it and it felt fine so I took myself out of the boot. I had to remind them that my doctors order was 3-4 weeks in the boot not six-eight the PT said was normal. I had to call the doctor's nurse and verify this with them. Once I took myself out of the boot it was another week before PT started changing my exercises and telling me I might be done soon. Not that I wanted to rush through PT but it was expensive for me and if I don't need it then why go, and why stay in the boot longer than needed. Especially with working on my feet the boot was actually more difficult.

So far I can now work 4-8 hrs on my feet moving, walking around constantly. picking stuff up and down, using short step stools and ladder with side handle bars. I refuse to use the regular 8 ft ladder yet. Once PT started me on the elliptical I have done mile ish walks at a slow-average pace and with no problems. I can do the elliptical for ten min without ankle issues. Which was my fitness level before surgery.
I mowed our med sized yard last weekend with no problems
My main issue was being able to work without pain and soreness which so far has been achieved. I think I got lucky because I did not have a micro fracture and only a debridement. Also my pain was under control before my surgery so I feel this helped also.

I've had some minor issues with my back that just started where I feel like its not smooth to stand up and sit down or bending over. However this is pry because I am bending over to move things more at work and I have gained weight that is pry causing issues with this. But at least it's not pain, more a balance issue.

I do not know when I will be able to ride horses again. But I do not have one to ride right now so that is not an issue. From my reading 6-12 months is recommended for high impact so hopefully sometime next year I can find a place to ride again.