Author Topic: Stem Cell Treatment for OCD on ankle...?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline m.g.

• View Profile
Stem Cell Treatment for OCD on ankle...?
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »
Has anyone had success with injecting stem cells with PRP into their ankle for their lesion? No biocartilage, only an injection into the lesion area. So, this is not an invasive surgery. I tried micro drilling in 2014 and then got pregnant soon afterwards. The pregnancy exacerbated the lesion and made it larger :(  My husband is friends with a surgeon who says he will do this stem cell procedure for me for free. However, theres a lack of research on doing this. He does not seem to think it will do any harm. I'm just curious if anyone else has tried this yet and if they had good results.  :)

Offline SCSankle

• View Profile
Re: Stem Cell Treatment for OCD on ankle...?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »
I don't have any experience with just stem cells. My surgery involved extracting bone marrow from my hip that they extracted stem cells from then injected into my ankle after they were done with the debridement and micro drilling.

I'm always wary about anything free :)

But I hear they're doing the stem cell injections for knee arthritis more so maybe this is the same sort of thing.

Let us know how what you decide/how it goes!

Offline m.g.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »
SCSankle, did you have any success with the procedure? I am actually having PRP and stem cell injected into my ankle next week. no drilling tho. I did drilling in the past tho. Now that I have a baby, the downtime is not realistic.

Offline SCSankle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:58:48 PM »
So far so good. It seems to be taking forever though. I'm 6.5 months post surgery and am walking fairly well. Not much pain, though it doesn't feel back to normal. I'm still wearing the ASO brace every day. I think the jury is still out until about the 9 month mark from what I hear. I'm still seeing improvement from month to month so that's good!

Offline m.g.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:08:17 AM »
SCSankle, so I am 4 weeks post PRP and Stem Cell treatment. Still in boot for another 2 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something good comes from this. I'll circle back maybe after a month or so with my update. I am curious to how you are recovering as well. Hope its working and you are becoming pain free. :)

Offline NoFussGus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »
Hey M.G.,

I'm considering getting the same procedure as you, PRP with a stem cell injection.  Please let us know in this thread how it goes for you.  :)

Also another surgery that sounds promising for our situation is a Ankle Distraction Arthroscopy.  Though it is certainly more invasive.  Involves separating the ankle joint a few mm and injecting stem cells gotten from your hip, sounds similar to what SCSankle had.

Offline SCSankle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
I'm coming up on 8 months post-op with the debridement, micro drilling, and BMAC. I don't believe they separated anything at the ankle joint before injectingbthe stem cells, but with the removal of the cartilage and bone there was plenty of new space where there had been none!

I've had a set back (damn low impact workout) that I'm still in the process of recovering from 5 weeks later. I'm sure I've made my situation worse by backing off of my home PT too much. In fact I may go back to PT to get back on track. I still wear my ASO brace each day and don't have much pain at all. I'm going for zero pain though which is what I had last month pretty much.

Take home message is damn long recovery. I am trying to just be patient. I'm so thankful I'm not a hard core runner or basketball or soccer or tennis player. I can't imagine how discouraging this is for someone that has a passion for high impact activity.

I hope you're going well, MG. must be out of the boot by now?

Offline m.g.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
Just an update. It's been a while but I feel that I should have posted the results from the PRP and stem cell treatment. It's been one year and the MRI shows that it did not help and the pain has not gotten any better. I am not sure if I need multiple treatments or what. The only thing with PRP and stem cell is that it is not cheap and not covered by insurance. So, I'm still looking for a cure or treatment for this injury.

Offline Aaryashah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:08:50 AM »
Stem cell therapy has come a long way with the recent technological advancements. If you are in and around Dallas Texas, you should check https://regenorthosport.com/ out. Dr movva is trained in sports medicine and board certified.
I recently had a knee injury and consulted Dr. Movva . I believe they also work on ankles.

Offline Maceface

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
I tried the stem cell therapy for my osteochondral lesion.  The dr took fat from my hip and bone marrow from my pelvis, then injected those stem cells into my talus using a needle guided by  ultrasound.  It was not a surgery, just an in-office procedure.   I had to remain non weight bearing for 3 days, then used the boot as needed to walk.
It’s been 12-13 weeks.  I am feeling better, but I can’t push it.  I no longer need the cortisone injection, only use 2 Aleve a day (rather than 4), and overall have less pain. I do still wear my boot for half the working day.  I’m going to start decreasing boot time.  It seems like some days are ok and others are still kind of bad.  It can get bad easily if I over do walking, walk too fast, or walk on uneven ground.  They told me I’m in the infancy stages of healing, but I feel like I’ve hit a plateau.   From what I understand 6-9 months is a good predictor.  But it’s so hard to be wondering and to wonder if I should have hope.  I still get catching in the joint.  Sigh.   I’m not sure if this helps.  OCD management is a long and exhausting ride