Author Topic: Arthroscopy / MF / Ligament Tightening  (Read 11324 times)

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
Arthroscopy / MF / Ligament Tightening
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
Hey everyone, new to the board.  Had a decent sized osteochondral lesion of the talar dome on my left ankle. First doc wanted to go OATS right of the bat said it was too big for arthroscopic success. I ended up getting a second opinion in NYC and was told there is no reason to go with such extreme procedure from the get go, especially since i'm in my early twenties. Yesterday I underwent arthroscopic cleaning and microfracture. I also had him tighten up my lateral ligaments to help with ankle stability post surgery.  I have been in a splint/soft wrap from knee down on a couch since and will be for 2 weeks. Pain is on and off and swelling is probably there since my toes look bright red. Vicatin has dealt with the pain so far very well. Foot feels much better now than it did my 1st night. In 2 weeks i go into a boot and in 4 i start physical therapy.  Just keeping it elevated and hoping for the best. Wish me luck.  Pre surgery pain was prob 6 on a 1-10 after long standing and trying to run. Walking and sitting I had little to no pain. 

Offline docs73

• View Profile
Re: Arthroscopy / MF / Ligament Tightening
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
hi there.
had similar surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago on a talar dome ocd.
i was allowed to weight bear striaght away and am still doing reasonably well, although i guess t will be months before i know for crtain if the drilling has worked.
good luck with your recovery...

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »
thank you and likewise.. we got a 50/50 shot lets keep are heads up.  How is the weight bearing feeling right now, i assume still very tender?

Offline airjaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
I had MF surgery a year ago. Goodluck with recovery!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
airjaw your mf had no success right? has anyone  ever had successful mf? this is buggin me out my doc told my 80% success

Offline airjaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »
Who is your doctor? My doc said 80% success too. It's something they all say, although I know many people who had MF fail. The people who had successful MF are probably not online though, looking for info about how to make their ankle better.

In my case, MF made my ankle worse. In retrospect I should not have got the surgery, but its a risk I took.
I'm going to forego any more surgeries and go for stem cell injections next.

MF can work, it really depends on the individual I think. Generally, younger people are said to have greater success rates. Also, if your OCD condition is moderate to severely bad, the MF is unlikely to work in my opinion. I think MF works OK with smallish sized OCDs

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »
yup exactly what i was thinking. I had Dr. Mroczek from NYU Center for Joint Disease. Great guy, he fully explained that its not definite. I as well took the risk in hope of reward, being able to walk and stand without being in pain. I dont think I will get any more surgeries as well if this fails. I will too try and opt for stem cell injections which sound promising....  Again its only been 2 days

Offline 63buzz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
Hope your surgery works!
Its been since January 6 that I had the drilling and tendon repairs. 
My tendons feel great and I no longer have the stabing pain from the the OCD.
But I still get the dull grinding kind of pain after moderate activity that keeps me from wanting to do anything extreme.  The OCD turned out to be much larger than the MRI indicated so my surgeon told my wife after the surgery that he was pretty sure that I'd need the cartlidge transplant anyway.

Well long story short, he's now suggesting synvisc injections to help delay the bigger surgery.
Have you or anyone else on this forum had the synvisc in the ankle?
Buzz

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
hey is that some type of steroid shot?

Offline 63buzz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »
Synvisc is a once a week injection into the joint, for three weeks.  Its derived from chicken combs so its not a steroid.
Its approved for the knee but not yet for the ankle  But my sawbones has another patient who is using it in his ankle to postpone ankle fusion.  The manufacturer says it may help regrow cartllidge.  My doc thinks the regrow part is wishful thinking.  He's suggested that I try it since i have  a 'cavernous' OCD. 
Synvisc in not approved for the ankle so my insurance company may not pay for it if they realize its not going into the knee.  My doc says its expensive but I've found the syringes on a Canadian web site for less than $400.  Which isn't a bad price, then I'd just be responsible for the three office visits for the injections.
Anyhow, I'm gonna go for it just to make the on going rehab less annoying.  I was hoping for some feedback from anyone who has had it done...

Offline ryenlites

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:59 AM »
week 7. ankle seems to be doing well. have been walking in the aircast boot w/o crutches. so far so good though i think i can still feel the medial lesion ever so slightly but zero pain

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 03:08:31 AM »
Great to hear ryenlites. Goodluck! hope things turn out for the best.