Author Topic: Regaining Range of Motion  (Read 1982 times)

Offline agrechka

• View Profile
Regaining Range of Motion
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
Hi all,

I had a bad fall in rock climbing almost 4 months ago. I tore 2 ligaments completely, stretched another one, and had OCD - several pieces of the talus cartilage were loose in my foot (the biggest one being 1cm large) which had to be urgently removed.

I was put in a cast for 6 weeks and it's now been about 2 months post cast removal.

I've had a lot of progress in ankle strength, but unfortunately my range of motion is still not too good. For example : standing upright and then bending my knee so that the knee will go past the toes. The ankle cannot go too far and there is pain when I do this. This is probably the thing that bothers me most.

Other than range of motion, things aren't too bad. I can walk more or less normally, I can rock climb, and I don't have any pain when the ankle isn't doing anything. I do have some swelling though, especially when the ankle was active during the day.

My question is how long did it take you to regain full range of motion and what do you recommend doing to help with it? Should I push myself to the point of (light) pain when trying to gain range of motion? How often? I go to physical therapy 3 times a week currently.

Thanks!

Asya

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: Regaining Range of Motion
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
Hi Asya,

Ideally, two months should be enough, but this is individual thing.
At least you need to complete the therapy. What kind of it you are getting? For me phonophoresis is the best way to deal with the pain.
Also, I don't think you need to do anything that causes the pain ATM, just wait :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:59:47 AM by John »

Offline agrechka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
Wow, you regained your range of motion in only two months?? What did you do? What helped you? I am just not gaining range of motion as fast as I would like...

During physical therapy I focus on strength and balance mostly, no phonophoresis.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:47:19 PM by agrechka »

Offline N413

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:45:11 PM »
Hey agrechka,

I have a similar story, but was treated very differently. I was bouldering and my heel hook slipped, I was told that I only had a sprained ankle with the same 2 torn ligaments and a third stretched out. Despite my ankle looking like a potato they recommended that I can do whatever I want with it so long as I'm careful and don't re-sprain it and I'll be fine in a couple months. Following the doctors orders I was back on my feet within a month and doing physical therapy. After a few months the pain didn't go away, I got an MRI which showed the defect and the ordered more physical therapy which turned the defect cystic according to the next MRI, I should've gotten surgery sooner rather than later. Anyway, a year after the injury and 6 weeks post-op, I was told to begin weight bearing but I was only in a cast for 2 weeks post-surgery. I have similar pain as I did as before the surgery but with almost full range of motion, and even then in physical therapy it seems that we mostly work on range of motion. Being in a cast for 6 weeks has got to be rough but I'm sure that the stiffness will go away in time. Happy climbing!