Author Topic: PRP/BioCartilage post Microfx  (Read 1742 times)

Offline jklax

• View Profile
PRP/BioCartilage post Microfx
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
First, thanks for all of the great information on this site.  It's been a great help as I've tried to make educated decisions for my son, whom is a little over 5 months post microfx surgery

Background:
-17yr old son twisted his ankle playing basketball in Spring of 2016.  Son is currently a senior in HS and will be playing D1 college lacrosse next year.
-Ortho said likely a sprain, but after several months of continued pain, we got an MRI that showed a 1.4 OCD on talus.
-Ortho recommended microfx.
-Had microfx in Sept 2016.  Ortho felt b/c of age, there'd be a very good chance he'd be able to play his final year of lacrosse in the spring, provided he wear a brace.
-2/14/2017  Son was able to run and bike with little pain.  Doctor gave him the all clear to ease into lacrosse practice.
-fast forward to today, pain has started up again, it has persisted for the past 2 weeks, pain level similar to when boot came off at week 6, along with more clicking, popping, and cracking of ankle.  Needless to say, he is very concerned he's done some additional damage to the ankle.

Despite spending hours researching OCDs, doctors, etc prior to surgery, I didn't pick up on the term microfracture until post surgery.  I quickly became educated on the seriousness of the injury, and regret not looking at other options like denovo, biocartilage, etc.

My question: has anyone had PRP injections after microfracture, or any other type of augmented treatment without going through a completely new procedure?  I'm concerned given the demands of playing a D1 sport, his ankle will not hold up with just a classic microfracture.

Offline Luiscatpone

• View Profile
Re: PRP/BioCartilage post Microfx
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Great I will try to see how to return to what it is.

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Re: PRP/BioCartilage post Microfx
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:05 AM »
Hey jklax. The situation does not look good. I'd stop your son from any strenuous activity on the ankle ASAP. That means no Spring Lacrosse. When you're young you want to just get out there and do things, regardless of the consequences but you have to be the responsible one here and SLOW HIM DOWN. Make him understand the severity of the situation. If he was an NBA prospect his career would likely be over.

Your next options are more invasive surgeries such as Denovo. I recommend finding an awesome ortho. Nothing against your current one but  you want to do your research and get the best one possible. And to be honest I do not have the most confidence in your ortho considering he didn't bother getting an MRI after your son's sprained ankle.