Author Topic: Concerned about recent OCD surgery  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Sgrc7

• View Profile
Concerned about recent OCD surgery
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:57 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just had microfracture and debridement for an old talar OCD about 1 week ago. I believe the size was a maximum of 90mm2 before the surgery.  I have been dealing with this deteriorating injury for some time (e.g. significant pain with less than a few minutes of walking and this had been going on for over a year - I've forgotten what it's like to run but anyway I'm okay with that now...).  I tried to prepare the best I could while staying extremely realistic about the recovery, but I'm feeling pretty worried now even with reasonable expectations (probably depressed as well, but that's harder to admit).  :-\

>> I was released with a soft gauze bandage after surgery and told no weight bearing for a 2 to 3 weeks (so am using crutches or a knee walker)

>> When I was in the doctor's office for a brief visit today, they took off the post surgery gauze and put a tensor bandage over the stitches. I asked about a boot for later, but they ended up switching the bandage for the boot right then and there (but the surgeon only emphasized wearing the boot once I start weight bearing which is still a about two weeks away, so I took it off once back home)

1.  I'm not walking and since I'm past the first few days following surgery, I'm wondering if any of you also had swelling at this stage (that is, why is it swelling if there's no weight bearing with a lot of elevating and icing)? The swelling (and associated swelling pain is concerning me).

2. The surgeon said I could move the ankle over the next 2 weeks (but no specifics). What kind of ROM do you (or did you) do in this early part of the process that you found helped or hurt?  I'm gently pointing up and down and side to side, and the doing the "alphabet" but not sure if this is a good idea. I really don't want to mess this up!!

3.  It sounds like many of you are in casts or boots at this stage. Do you (or did you) wear them all the time at home or sleep in them? I only have a bandage over the stitches, so don't know if I'm doing any harm by having nothing protecting the ankle (the tensor bandage really hurts as well so it's not on either). But my ankle is swollen and it's been quite painful (as I've had very minimal pain meds), and it continues to feel heavy with or without a tensor or the boot.

Any experiences or thoughts would really help me at this point!

Offline jippy999

• View Profile
Re: Concerned about recent OCD surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
Just FYI, let us know how old you are and your weight (like skinny, avg, or overweight).

I'm in early 40s and avg (but gained 30lbs in past 4 month, i'm 6'3" so it's not alot but still decent).  Had DeNovo graft, some bone shaving around the talus (i had spur due to too many ankle sprains), some tightening of the ligaments, and clean up of the area.

Just let you know, it's a slow process healing, and a long process.  You'll be swelling alot for a long time.  You'll go through pain & feeling well then pain (especially when it rains).  So it's normal healing process, don't try to speed it up.  Take your time.

Try to get some compression socks and wear them all day.  And keep doing ice/elevation.  Once your off your boot, it'll be slow process healing, so dont be concerned.  Depending on your age, you'll be doing compression socks, elevation, icing, for 6month - year, before swelling is gone completely.  One of my friend's daughter had a surgery (she's 14) and even though they're fast healers, she's going through the same process and complaining how it hurts when it rains.

Been off weight for 6 weeks, then boot for a month, then ankle brace for a month.  Now i'm just doing compression socks/kt tape/ankle brace (when activity like golf).  When i was on boot, near the end of the month, i felt GREAT.  I thought healing was going great.  Then on brace, and started walking normally, i felt all these weird pain after a 3 days.  Then iced while limping around.  Then it went away after a week.  Then pushed more, it hurt, limped for another week.  Then felt better.  So as you can see, it's 2 steps forward, 1 step backward process.  So don't worry.  Only worry if the pain doesn't go away after a week of rest/icing/advil.

As for exercising during the 2 weeks after surgery, DO NOT do alphabet.  Just try to get a towel, put it on the toe and just stretch the achilles lightly.  But it's usually better with heat, so wait for after stitches are removed.  Also, try not to stretch pointing toes out, at least until after the boot phase.

I was in a soft cast the first 2 weeks (off weight) until stitches were removed.  Then wore boot 24x7 for a month (off weight), then another month of on weight on boot.  During the on weight boot phase, i cheated little bit and wore ankle splint at night with compression socks for little comfort. Try to get a foot pillow for assisting with sleep and elevation initially.  It's still uncomfortable but you'll get used to it.

Let us know how your healing goes.

Offline jippy999

• View Profile