Author Topic: update 2 years 3 months post surgery  (Read 3041 times)

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
update 2 years 3 months post surgery
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »
I had Surgery, microfracture, in March 2015.  Dr. advised to never run or jump again.  I have followed that advise.  I still occasionally dream about running and stare at people I see running on the street.  I have even calculated what kind of times for a swim and bike I would need to have a decent Tri Athlon time. 

As far as the ankle goes it has been pretty good.  I did start to experience some increased pain this last spring and went back to about 4 weeks of physical therapy.  At PT we worked on stretching and strength.  That seemed to take care of the increased pain I was experiencing.  The ankle always has had some mild pain since surgery but nothing that I would complain about other than to my wife.  I do not have any catching or popping nor do I have that hammer like intense pain every few minutes.  All in all I consider the surgery to have been a huge success. 

My surgeon has repeatedly stated he is surprised and impressed with the great recovery I have had especially considering my age.  I am now 62.    His initial comment prior to surgery was that he expected the repair to last 2 to 8 years depending on my activity.  My OCD was on the posterior medial aspect of the Talus, simply put it was the shoulder. 

I still hike on trails and walk at a fast clip 3 - 4 miles an hour.  So for all of you out there going through what can be a difficult recovery there is light at the end of the tunnel and

Offline Namelike

• View Profile
Re: update 2 years 3 months post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
Congratulations! That's spectacular. Exactly what kind of pain were you experiencing that was resolved by PT?

I have the same kind of results at 2.5 years. No leg crippling pain, but still a nagging stiffness/pinching kind of pain on the outside my ankle that my new doc where I now live says will be resolved with strengthening. Is this similar to what you had?

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
It is hard to explain.  There was a feeling of tightness and also pain like someone squeezed the ankle until it hurt.  It was almost constant Also the pain increased with twisting.  However that all seems to be gone.

It really seems the stretching and of the hamstrings, ankle and squats really helped with Range of Motion

Good luck

Offline Namelike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »
Interesting. Where exactly in your ankle was the pain?

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
The pain pretty much ran along the joint between the foot and the ankle so probably top of the talus.  It was almost from a half inch in front of the Achilles on both sides all the way around to the front and then to the other side just in front of the Achilles

Offline CatyD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
I'm glad things are working out for you.   I've had some swelling near my Achilles lately and there has been inconsistent days when I'm not able to walk fully without my "surgical" ankle hurting.  It's been 4 yrs.  I didn't think too much of it. When I had an appt with my GP within the week she gave me a script for PT which I'm starting next week.   I'm hoping the targeted strengthening will be sufficient and it's not indicative of a greater issue within the ankle.   It wasn't until the past few days that I've been thinking about possible connection to the initial pain of OCD that led to the surgery.  Fingers crossed!

Offline casper1955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
CATYD  How is PT going and is it helping reduce the pain by strengthening the surrounding muscles?

Offline CatyD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
Thanks for checking on me.   Yes, it seems to be helping.  The "knot" in the muscle is getting smaller through all the massaging of it.    It's still irritated from time to time and reminds me it's not 100%.  I'll keep babying it until all is good!