Author Topic: OCD Ankle and running  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Jenny

• View Profile
OCD Ankle and running
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
HI,
So I have been running for 20 years. 2 years ago while teaching yoga I was having trouble dorsal flexing. My ankle would also swell on long runs. I thought I sprained it and started doing PT.It kept getting worse. It got to the point of constant pain and I was unable to do anything stand, walk,run, bike, swim or yoga.
I had arthroscopy on my ankle about an year and a half ago.  I went to 5 different doctors including 2 different well known surgeons. I picked the surgeon who told me I would run again,since the other one told me I would not. I spent about 10 months being super depressed from not being able to do anything.
 I had the surgery and the pain disappeared instantly, and the swelling was less after surgery then before. The doctor told me I could do mild activity after 2 months, and I was walking, swimming, lifting and doing yoga.
At 6 months post surgery he gave me the okay to run, so I started walk/running and everything was going fine. 10 months post surgery I sprained my ankle doing side plank, and it was a six week recovery.
I went to see the dr and he changed his story telling me I should wait to a year to run, but people with my surgery normally don't run. I went to see a PT who specializes in ankles and it was doing great. I started cutting my walk intervals down and could run up to 4 miles, 4 times a week. I was back to teaching yoga.   did a sprint tri-athlon in June
Labor day weekend my ankle seemed sore I went on a hike, teaching yoga my ankle seemed super sore. Then while at working sitting down with my ankle under my leg. I stood up and horrible pain and unable to dorsal flex. And although the pain has went away its been limited mobility, hard to walk, and swelling for over a week.
Is this something I should expect for the rest of my life my ankle getting upset and getting swelling, loss of mobility and pain. I was signed up for the marathon this year but my longest walk/run was 7 miles I was not able to get myself in better shape then that. I would like to be able to do a half marathon next year.

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Re: OCD Ankle and running
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »
Jenny, sorry to hear about your ankle issues. It would help if you included the diagnoses the doctor gave you.

Also, what kind of surgery did you have?

no one here can give you a 100% definitive answer but having some of the specifics would help