Author Topic: 4 years post-DeNovo  (Read 1975 times)

Offline mhop

• View Profile
4 years post-DeNovo
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Hey, all.  I haven't been on this board in years, but I just got back from a run and thought I would post a little encouragement.

I had a pretty substantial talar OCD and multiple torn ligaments (from repeated strains).  I did surgery with Dr. Lew Schon 4 years and 1 week ago.  It has not been a linear journey to healing by any means, but I definitely don't regret the surgery.

I was running some pretty quick half-marathons before the surgery and was pretty much a life-long runner.  So, I can empathize with those of you feeling devastated about having to give up your sport. There can even be a depression that comes with the loss of endorphins if you've been an endurance athlete for most of your life.

The last 4 years have been interesting but mostly good.  I found a lot of activities I never thought I would like outside of running, and I now love these activities.  I prefer climbing to just about anything these days. 

I took a few years off from running.  However, I picked up running a few months back when I had a minor overuse injury to my shoulder and had to take a break from climbing.  I now run 1-2 days a week and do occasional sprints.  (The funny thing is that after years of being ADDICTED to running I no longer like the sport all that much.  I mean, it SUCKS if you don't do it regularly.)  I run very short distances now at a very slow pace.  The cardiovascular research would show that that is physiologically better as we age.  (I'm 35 now.)  But, for what it's worth, I CAN RUN AGAIN.  And I have set a small goal to race a 5k in a few months.

So, I just wanted to pass on encouragement to others that 1) you very much can find other passions while your joint can't take the pounding of your sport.  For me, it was a grieving process of sorts, but over time, I got to where I was no longer sad about being unable to run.   2) The healing process after surgery can be slow but very worthwhile.   3) I think Dr. Schon is an awesome surgeon.  I remember my OCD being large and complex with other joint issues, but it seems now that the problem is at least 90% repaired.

Melbusefi

Re: 4 years post-DeNovo
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »
Thank you for sharing.

Offline Namelike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
Congrats so much on your huge success, that’s incredible that you are back to running.

I had DeNovo done with Dr Schon 3 years ago, so one year less than you. My OCD looks great on MRI but I have a bunch of other annoyances - I have had tendonitis in my peroneal and Achilles for over 2 years now and can’t shake it. Have tried walking in a boot, multiple rounds of PT, everything, and I still feel it. It feels like a severe pinching/stiffness on the outside of my ankle and on the Achilles. It typically will start to feel a little better after it gets warmed up but for the most part it has been a thorn in my side.

Did you experience this at all after surgery or were you pretty much feeling great throughout the whole recovery? What/where exactly was your pain throughout recovery? How exactly did you get over the hurdles?

Congrats again.

Offline mhop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »
Ok - so, namelike, I really suck sometimes. lol.  I am replying 8 months later.  You may be off the board by now.

But, the goal is that life gets better - your ankle gets better, too - and you stay off of the message boards...mostly... which has been pretty much the case for me. 

but - to answer the question (8 months later), the recovery from surgery was up and down.  Right after the surgery I was VERY impatient to get back to running, and that probably didn't help things.  for a while after the surgery I felt WORSE than before.  Of course, any time you cut into a joint and disrupt everything, you can expect pain and inflammation.  I should have known that and expected that, but instead I let my mind take me in a negative place to "this will never heal, the surgery failed, blah, blah."

We learn in pain management education that there are two parts to pain: the physiological firing of neurons and the brain's interpretation of those signals.  The meaning you attribute to pain can definitely make the pain better or worse.  Now, if I have a slight ache (on a rainy day) I don't obsess over it; and, it goes away quickly.  But, right after surgery, I was so worried that I interpreted any slight ache as total surgical failure, worsening of the defect, necrosis of the bone, etc, etc.

So, in November I will be 5 years out from surgery.  After my last post I never got to do the 5K I had hoped for  :( ...because I found out I was pregnant :)  ... and was pretty brutally attacked by fatigue and nausea  :(....and then, when I started back to running, the ankle was GREAT :) ...but my pelvic girdle felt like it was being torn apart....common pregnancy issue :(  So, the goal of running a 5k has been postponed by a full year.  But, I'm still hopeful that it might come to fruition this December.  Half-marathons are probably out of the picture for me now, and I don't forsee myself ever getting back to running 50+ miles a week.

But, otherwise life is good, and the ankle doesn't limit me at all.  I would say the injury is 90% healed, which is great, and considering the extent of my defect and my other associated problems, I think 90% is pretty amazing, honestly.

Offline pds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
That's wonderful. I'm glad to hear it's done so well. Thanks for sharing.