Author Topic: Ankle OCD on non load bearing part of bone  (Read 1223 times)

Offline twells1303

• View Profile
Ankle OCD on non load bearing part of bone
« on: December 25, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
Hi,

I had an ankle scope to remove a loose body.  While the surgeon was in there he found an osteochondral defect.  He said that he "scraped" the bone down to bleeding bone to stimulate the growth of scar cartilage.  He told me to be noon load bearing for 6 weeks.  My six weeks ends in two days.  I have a follow-up then to verify that i am ready to put weight on it.  They will do an xray.  I am a bit nervous that it will take. It is on a non load bearing part of the ankle bone.  What will walking be like initially? I do alot of cycling. when will i be back to that?  How long might pain persist?  Does this defect often return or grow. I don't want to redo it especially since i got a blood clot from the surgery.  I have no swelling right now before walking. My ankle also feels very loose as i rotate it around.  The doctor told me that this has about a 90% success rate. Does that sound right?  Any encouragement or extra information is appreciated.  I was kind of bummed to hear i had an osteochondral defect.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:18:18 PM by twells1303 »

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Re: Ankle OCD on non load bearing part of bone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »
Hey twells, welcome to the forum.

I don't want to alarm you but your doctor made a decision to give you an invasive surgery. I hope you had some time to research it before he went ahead and did it, because recovery from MF not to mention the risks and costs involved are no small matter.

To answer some of your questions,
90% sounds a bit overly optimistic to me. My doctor quoted me 80% and even then , what really defines "success"? I never got a clear answer from my doctor and I still don't know what "success" means for a MF surgery. For me, success meant my ankle was back at 90% and i could run, jump, pivot, hike etc. with maybe 10% decreased performance. For my doctor I think 'success' meant that my OCD didn't get worse and i could still walk.

I am not sure if OCDs get larger. I'd suspect they could get worse, but  others can chime in on that..

Cycling - I can cycle 90% just  fine. Going up hills may be harder because you're pushing on your legs and ankle area more, but it's probably bad form to be cycling with your ankles anyways, your thighs and glutes should be driving force. But i mostly cycle in the gym. I prob couldn't mountain bike as there's a lot of tension and shocks on the pedals.

Walking will be hard, I couldn't walk until 12 weeks and even then i was barely making it. I had to do physical therapy to strengthen my ankle and for about 2 months I did that, after 2 months i felt i could do it on my own.

Final note is that recovery is longer than you think and every case is different. I'd recommend not overdoing it. Take the first six months slow and increase the activity a little by little, constantly noting how your ankle pain is. Like don't go on a 5 hour hike one day just to test it out. Start with a 10 minute walk, if that's OK, then try 15, 20, 1 hour, etc. You may have lots of improvement and setbacks, one foot forward two foot back kind of thing.

Finally, This is a pretty mentally tough injury , so come back to the forums and write down what you're going through. It will help you have some support and it will help others who read your experiences as well.

Goodluck. and keep us updated.

Offline FrankJScott

• View Profile
High Rated Product Tips
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 09:24:51 AM »
Please try Google before asking about Useful Product Website 9ce85ee

Offline FrankJScott

• View Profile
New Product Info
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 07:39:35 PM »
Please try Google before asking about High Rated Product Website 5eea616

Offline FrankJScott

• View Profile
Excellent Scam Verification Tips
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 11:49:27 AM »
In reply to the man inquiring about website phishing attack, report fraud website, ripoff list website, klynu com scam, fake site report, site scam scanner, checking a website is genuine, fake wayfair site on facebook, just answer is a scam, scam verification website, scamming sites online, fake site, local fling online scam, check legit site, consumer fraud reporting website, facebook dating site scams, scam site checker online, searchfinder com scam, eurodate scam, etsy a scam,  I suggest this homepage for scam verification site blog for dating com is a scam, betus scam, vrbo booking scams, scam site review, phishing attack website, scammer alert website, the rip off report, snapchat meetup scam, upwork scams reddit, ripoff report website, xikers website reviews, airbnb fake website, luvcougar scam, vevor scam site, areaif website legit, fraudulent internet trading site, google fake website, asian dating scams, truthfinder spam email, scammed on vrbo, also. See More Recommended Peptide Website 15dc9ce