Author Topic: Response Bias?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline MoeH

• View Profile
Response Bias?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
Is it possible this forum exhibits a form of response bias? I don't mean this in a bad way, but how many people would you reckon would be gracious and generous gracious enough to still want to come to an online forum discussing an injury they no longer have to deal with? Is it possible that a forum like this one is comprised mostly of newly-discovered OCD patients (like myself) or OCD patients who underwent unsuccessful procedures and are still dealing with the issue?

Basically, if your OCD disappears, would you still spend time and energy hanging around here?

Offline MoeH

• View Profile
Re: Response Bias?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:31 AM »
In other words, most of us responding in this forum, are those who continue to have challanges.

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
This forum only has several hundred members with only 10% of them contributing to discussions so the sample size is nowhere near big enough to draw any conclusions.

The contributions here are really sporadic and that's fine. People come when they need help or are in pain. If they aren't in pain , then they frankly don't need the help. So yea I'd agree that most who "recover" from their OCDs just move on with their life. Hell I even go weeks without contributing anything sometimes because I get busy.

That said I still think the anecdotes are helpful. We have more stories about surgeries and recoveries than any one doctor can provide you.

Offline MoeH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
I agree. I find this forum extremely helpful. And thank you for the participation stats. They provide a much better idea than my attempt at conjecture.