Author Topic: Worried about Pain after Microfracture in ANKLE!!!  (Read 1173 times)

Offline twells1303

• View Profile
Worried about Pain after Microfracture in ANKLE!!!
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
Hi,

I am 3.5 months post op.  I went in for an ankle scope to have a loose body removed and he ended up finding an osteochondral defect and "scraped" it (Microfracture).  I still have achy pain when I go on long walks or try to run.  It is bearable, but stiff when I get up from sitting, and achy throughout the day when I walk on it.  Is this normal?  Does it hint that the microfracture failed?  How long can it take to be virtually pain free.  I know my microfracture was off to the side and not in a major load bearing area.  I was non-load bearing for the first 6 weeks.  Any comfort and hope would be appreciated!

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Re: Worried about Pain after Microfracture in ANKLE!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
The stiffness and pain is normal.. MF is a pretty big surgery despite some doctors making it sound small

MF forms scar cartilage. (fibrocartilage). It's weak, much weaker than our natural hyaline cartilage.

I'd guess the surgery didn't fail but that this is normal, unfortunately. Your ankle is weaker.

I'd recommend a few months of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles. You really shoudln't be running or engaging in any strenuous physical activitiy for up to a year IMO.