Author Topic: 4 1/2 years post surgery  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Sueb

• View Profile
4 1/2 years post surgery
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
Brief History-  I am currently 49 year old female who used to be a whole lot more active then I am now.  I am guessing my injury occurred from an ankle sprain while playing tennis.  A trip to the emergency room showed nothing, but 1 year later started having random sharp shooting pains in my foot.  After being misdiagnosed for another whole year I found someone who figured out what was wrong.

-June 2006- MRI shows 9 mm osteochondral lesion at the posterior medial aspect of talus.  My doctor said arthroscopy would most likely not be successful because of the location and size of the lesion.
-Sept 2006 – Surgery.  Used the Nexa synthetic graft to replace the lesion.  He used 2 7 mm segments.  Lesion had already increased in size.
-Nov 2008 – screws removed.  I was having some pain and we decided to try and remove screws.
-Jan 2009 – MRI - showed that one of the grafts was completely integrated while the second was still showing a cystic lesion 4 by 5 mm in size.

I have been doing pretty well until recently.  I never returned to high impact activities, no tennis, no jumping, etc. . I still walk, hike and cycle.  Recently I have been having more pain.  Upon getting up in the morning and whenever I am sitting for longer then 10 minutes, my ankle gets very stiff and hurts for the first few steps.  It has also been throbbing a lot more after activity and in the evening.  Also, along the inside of the ankle it is very tender.

I have an appointment to go back to the doctor next week.  I am really hoping the area where the graft didn't take is not getting worse.  Also from reading on this forum and others - could this just be arthritis caused by the surgery.  If so any suggestions for treatment.   Repeat surgery is just not an option.  I refuse to go through it all again.
Thanks for any feedback.

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Re: 4 1/2 years post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:13:37 AM »
Hi Sueb, welcome to the forums.

Let us know how your doctor's visit goes and what he says.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Alan

Offline kimber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Sue,

Sorry to hear your story but I can literally feel your pain.

I am 3 years post OATS and at my 6 month MRI post OATS I developed significant arthritis (no sign of it before) which drastically limited my ROM and caused pain.  Since 2008 I have undergone ankle distraction to help heal the arthritis (2010) and it did work for my tibiotalar joint but unfortunately the arthritis has spread to my subtalar joint and currently I am doing the distraction again and also had a subtalar fusion.

In summary, my OATS was successful, my plugs incorporated well, but the scar tissue build up and arthritis is the battle I am facing now.  I have been in the OR 7 times in 4 years for this &$?! Ankle and I just so need it to be done with.  The arthrutis we get after an ankle traumavis degenerative, but I am 43 and too young for a replacement and also waiting for technology to improve.

Good luck with your appts, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Kim. :)

Offline Sueb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I went to the doctor and he said he doesn't think there any signs of bone change on the x-ray, plus the symptoms sound like arthritis due to the injury.  He put me on an anti-inflammatory.  Hopefully this helps without giving me an ulcer!  I actually am really relieved that he doesn't think the cyst has grown.  I can deal with the pain knowing that there is no further damage.  Thanks for the support.