Author Topic: Recovery after microfracture and Bromstrom can anyone tell me how this goes???  (Read 13666 times)

Offline sead

• View Profile
Hi i had surgery at the end of February Bromstrom ( ligament shortening) and microfracture of talar dome medial with no cartlidge remaining
has anyone had this done? Can you tell me at the 2-1/2 month point approximately a month after the cast is off - does the microfracture spot still hurt or is this most probably a sign that microfracture is unsuccessful? The pain does not seem to be where the ligamnt surgery was- more like where the osteochondrial lesion is- no catching just pain
Has anyone had this surgery that can tell me what their recovery was like and how long until they could walk normally? I walk around , swim a bit etc but it does get sore in that one spot and swells up easily still.

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
HI sead, it's very hard to say as ankles are all different. Part of my reason for founding this site was to gather a large number of case studies so people could have some knowledge about what others in the same situation had tried and what their experiences were.

That said the best I can do is guess for your case. With no cartilage and a MF (and this is without accounting for the effects of Brostrom with which I have no experience), If you're at the 2.5 month after surgery then it's still very early in the process. You probably shouldn't be walking around too much and should be treating the ankle very carefully, especially if its still swelling. I would engage in light to moderate physical therapy for up to half a year, then treat the ankle gingerly for up to another 6-9 months.

I also would never try to play sports again or run or jump in any intense form. Fibrocartilage is weak, unstable, and you will either injure yourself again or put wear and tear on your cartilage so that it will break down sooner.

Swimming should be fine.

Offline sead

• View Profile
Do you think back country skiing and hiking/ mountain climbing are also too hard on fibrocartlidge?..after a year or more?

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Well, even a doctor wouldn't be able to give you the answer to that, so I'll try something different:

You really need to focus on getting better ONE DAY AT A TIME. I know, easier said than done. But honestly doctors overlook the mental aspect of recovery. Many of them, in my experience, expend NO time or thought to the mental aspect. Just surgery, and see you during your appointment, then bam, no more contact or advice. Hence the popularity of this forum. I was left to my own devices and on my own my mind went crazy, thinking, hoping of what I could do in the future, dreaming of the day I'd play basketball again, instead of concentrating on just getting better one day at a time. I wish I had someone to keep me focused.

My opinion is that to dream about what may or may not happen in a year is not healthy. That dreaming is like the denial stage of grief. Keep your hope alive but focus on getting better.

Offline BadankleNJ

• View Profile
Sead, I am 7-1/2 months after MF for two lesions. I still have bad days, but they are getting fewer with more good days. I've read it can take 18 months to fully recover from MF. I have found that keeping the swelling down is key to facilitating healing and reducing pain. At 6 months, with frequent pain, I started wearing an Ossur Cross / Lace up brace. That kept the swelling down enough to enable me to begin a fast 30 minute walk every other day, on grass, no hard impacts. I've dropped weight and my ankle is much better, I still take a NSAID 2 or 3 x a week, again to reduce the swelling. Give it time, but exercise and work it too when you can. I plan on posting a more detailed summary at 12 months, when I expect (hope) to be mostly recovered. There are few posts on the recovery process after MF on the ankle.

Main thing, don't get too discouraged on bad days, and enjoy the good ones!

Offline sead

• View Profile
My physio therapist is sending me back to the surgeon- he feels that if there is still pain at site of lesion now feb 22 nd surgery so5 months now- he feels drilling is unsuccessful???
Is that generally accepted?

Offline BadankleNJ

• View Profile
Five months is NOT a long time after MF surgery. It was at least 7 months before my ankle started to feel better after MF. I am now 9 months and it continues to get better. Your PT may be well intentioned, but apparently misinformed. I have read that 12 - 18 months is needed for full recovery after MF, my experience so far agrees with that suggestion.

Offline sead

• View Profile
Hi did you get a ctscan ( some special kind) after microfracture to see if cartlidge  grew or not?

Offline ocdnetadmin

• Administrator
  • admin
    • View Profile
Hi did you get a ctscan ( some special kind) after microfracture to see if cartlidge  grew or not?

Sead, I can tell you that I never received a CTscan after my MF. My doctor didn't recommend I do so, so I never followed up with him - I only completed my physical therapy.

Offline sead

• View Profile
Badankle NJ
How is yourankle now? How many months?
How is walking downstairs? Have you or o you plan to do sports again?
Sead

Offline BadankleNJ

• View Profile
Sead, I am just beyond 1 year since MF for a large lesion, 1/3 of the talus had no cartilage. I feel I can safely say it was a complete success, I have no pain or swelling and back to hiking with my dogs. My Doc had originally suggested an ankle fusion due to my age (58) and the size of the OCD, but I insisted I wanted to try MF first. At this point I am really happy with the results, Microfracture CAN work, for some people anyway.